Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Lazy Turd

This weekend Corey is hosting the 8th Annual Lazy Turd Invitational. Now, the name sounds ridiculous, but the games involved are far from it. In 2001 when the fun began, the players consisted of Corey and about 7 of his closest buds - No women allowed. The word has spread over the years and this year there are nearly 40 players. They get up early, play 18 holes of golf then grab lunch. Then, they head off to the local bowling alley for (I believe) 2 games. The golf round has different prizes on different holes. For example, one of the golf contests is to see who can hit a marshmallow the farthest on a certain hole. That will be pretty funny if it's raining, as the weather man keeps predicting! Winners of the golfing and bowling contests win designated prizes, or extra chips to begin the final round of fun; Texas Hold em' Poker.
It's a day when wives and girlfriends need to free their men of anything for the ENTIRE day. Most times, I don't see Corey until the wee hours of the next morning. I don't know that Corey had planned on having the Lazy Turd continue on as long as it has, or grow to it's current notoriety, but it has become an annual event that Corey hopes to have his son(s) involved in in the years to come. I look forward to it, too.

I am now feeling the little ones kick daily. It's still more like a flutter, but it's certainly more recognizable than it was just a couple of weeks ago. It is now becoming harder to get out of a chair, or get out of bed, so I'm doing a lot of rolling. Whatever works, right? Cooper pats my belly every day and says "baby". In an earlier blog I mentioned that he did this, and finally realized that I am the only one with a baby in my tummy. I THOUGHT he realized it. But he still pats everyones belly and says "baby!" It's just too cute.

Today is Katie's "Serpentine Parade" at school. This is where all the children dress up in their Halloween costumes and in a snake-like manner weave in and out of every classroom - By doing this, everyone gets to see everyone's costume. Parents and friends are invited to stand along the walls to watch the parade and video, photograph and wave as each child they know marches by. I will be dressing Cooper in his costume today when we go to the parade. Many young children come dressed up to see their older siblings in the parade. It's quite fun, and every year it's great to see which child shocks everyone with their totally outrageous costume. Kate is Little Red Riding Hood....A shock for us since she has the tendency to lean toward gothic attire.

Since Katie will be going to middle school next year, this may be the last year we participate in the parade watching until Cooper attends Kindergarten - 4 years from now. We have nieces that attend the school for a few more years, but I don't know how involved we'll be with Cooper and the twins - Outings will be quite a challenge for me! But, after little Cooper gets to kindergarten, it will be only a couple more years before the twins join him. Should be fun!

Halloween is my kickoff of the holiday season, and I can't express how much I love this time of year. I am not one to suffer from fall/winter depression, and in fact, I love the cold weather and cloudy days. It's refreshing to go out in the morning with a cup of coffee or tea and take it all in.

Once we've made it through Halloween it will be time to gear up for Thanksgiving - It's the holiday where I look forward to nursing my husband back to health after he and his brother fast for the day before the big dinner, and then see who can eat the most without puking. These men are boys at heart, and the holidays bring out everyone's inner child......even mine!

No comments: